Sprouted Kala Chana Ambti
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 211 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38532 times
Like Sambhar is to Tamil Nadu, Amti is to Maharashtra. Amti is a flavourful dal preparation that is frequently prepared in Maharashtrian households. It is a versatile dish with many variants, and this particular one is a Sprouted Kala Chana Amti. It is rich in fibre and protein due to the use of kala chana, which is sprouted to ease digestion and improve the nutritional profile. When cooked with a masala paste of onions and dry spices, the Amti becomes quite irresistible, making it a perfect choice for weight watchers who like to enjoy tasty and spicy food.
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the onions turn light brown in colour. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend the mixture in a mixer to a smooth paste using 2 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- Combine the sprouts, 1½ cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape befoe opening the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for another 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the onion paste and sauté on a medium flame again for 1 minute.
- Add the kala chana (along with water in which they were cooked) and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasaionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- For 1½ cups of sprouted kala chana, soak ¾ cup of raw kala chana in enough water in a bowl overnight, drain them and keep aside to sprout for 12 to 15 hours.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 56 kcal|
|Protein|| 2.4 gm|
|Fat|| 1.9 gm|
|Fibre|| 1.3 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.