Spinach and Cottage Cheese Canneloni
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 157 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24430 times
Spinach and cottage cheese stuffed in tubular pasta or cannelloni covered with oodles of cheese always finds its way in dinner menus! Well made cannelloni cannot be achieved without some effort, but the results are always superb. Basically there are four separate elements : the stuffing, the fresh pasta in which the stuffing is enclosed, the cheese that covers and protects the filled cannelloni as it heats and the sauce. The filling and the sauce can be prepared a day in advance, then assembled just before serving. Ready-made dry pasta sheets can be purchased to shorten the cooking process.
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water. Refresh in ice-cold water and drain out the water. Keep aside.
- Chop finely and mix with the cottage cheese, green chillies, nutmeg powder, cream and salt. Keep aside.
- Prepare the pasta dough as mentioned in the recipe.
- Divide the pasta dough into 6 portions and roll out each portion as thinly as possible.
- Cut each portion of the rolled out dough into a 100 mm. x 150 mm. (4" x 6") rectangle, to make 6 cannelloni sheets.
- Boil plenty of water in a broad pan and add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Drop the prepared pasta one sheet at a time into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer into a bowl of cold water. Drain again and keep aside.
- Heat the butter, add the flour and sauté for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking it continuously so that no lumps form. Bring to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well. Remove from the fire.
- Fill each cannelloni sheet with 1 tablespoon of the spinach stuffing and roll up.
- Arrange on a greased baking dish, pour the white sauce over the prepared cannelloni and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 (400) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.