Spicy Steamed Modak
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11321 times
A novel variation to the sweet delicacy modak, spicy steamed modak has a savory spicy filling in the rice flour based pouches. The modaks are steamed and relished as snack with green chutney.
Add your private note
Spicy Steamed Modak recipe - How to make Spicy Steamed Modak
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Combine the ginger, coriander leaves and green chillies and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the sprouted moong and the prepared paste, mix well and cook for 10-12 mins untill the moong is well cooked.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt, jaggery, coriander-cumin seed powder, mix well and cook for 5-6 mins.
- Remove from the flame, cool completely and mash the mixture lightly.
- Divide the stuffing into equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat 1 cup water in a deep pan, add the salt,cumin seeds and oil.
- When it starts boling add the rice flour and mix well.
- Knead it in he water using spoon.
- Heat for 10-15 mins untill flour is fully cooked and flour becomes glossy.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into equal portions and keep aside.
- Take a modak mould and apply very little oil on the inner walls of it.
- Put a portion of the rice dough and press against the walls and make a hallow covering. (use water to spread the dough).
- Place a portion of the stuffing inside and fill it well.
- Cover the base, the open area with the dough again.
- Remove from the mould.
- Repeat the same steps to make more modaks.
- Place them in and idli steamer and steam for 10-15 minutes. .
- Remove and garnish with clove sticks, tulsi leaves and lemon chips.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by alpanadhole on 10 Jun 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.