Spicy Rice Parathas
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 168 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50803 times
A great way to use up left-over rice or pulao and create an altogether new recipe. These parathas are very common in Gujarati homes, where the rice left-over from dinner is seasoned further, stuffed into parathas and served for breakfast or lunch the following day. These parathas can be served with Methambo or Quick Mango Chunda.
- Combine all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the green chillies, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cooked rice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mint and coriander and mix well.
- Allow to cool completely and divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place one portion of the spicy rice stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a circle of 125 mm. (5") diameter circle with the help of a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the parathas , using a little oil, till they turn brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 7 more parathas.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
- If the spicy rice stuffing mixture is dry, add 2 teaspoons of curds at step no. 4 to moisten it.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.