Spicy Lehsuni Vada
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2897 times
The strong flavour of garlic transforms the soft and soothing potato into an exciting snack!
Here, a mixture of potatoes and garlic is coated with a besan batter and deep fried, to get a Spicy Lehsuni Vada, which tastes great when served independently or between a pair of pav buns!
It can be served as a starter or evening snack with tea . Add to the garlicky notes by serving it with sukhi lehsuni chutney.
It is important to serve this immediately because the top layer of besan tends to become thick after some time – it must be served immediately to relish the nice crispy texture.
Try other vada recipes like Mini Cabbage Vadas or Mirchi Vada .
- Combine the potatoes, garlic paste, chilli powder, lemon juice and salt in a deep bowl and mix very well.
- Divide the mixture into 20 equal portions and roll each portion into a round.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip each vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry a few vadas in hot oil till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately with sukhi lehsun chutney.
Spicy Lehsuni Vada Video by Tarla Dalal
Spicy Lehsuni Vada recipe with step by step photos
- For the lehsuni vada batter, in a deep bowl, take besan.
- Add 1 tbsp hot oil. The addition of hot oil makes the besan covering crispy on frying.
- Now add salt to taste and ½ cup of water. Be careful while adding water, the batter should not be very runny or thick. It should be just enough to coat the aloo balls.
- Using a whisk, mix well to make a lump-free, smooth batter. Keep aside.
- For the spicy lehsuni vada mixture, take the boiled and mashed potatoes in a deep bowl. You can also grate the potatoes.
- Add the garlic paste.
- Now, add the chilli powder.
- Finally, add some lemon juice and salt.
- Mix very well so that the flavorings are spread properly.
- Divide the mixture into 20 equal portions. Roll each portion into a round.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan for frying the spicy vada. Maintain the temperature of oil. Very high heat browns the batata vada from outside very fast and the besan covering remains uncooked. If you let the temperature too low then they will turn greasy.
- Dip each lehsuni vada in the prepared batter and deep-fry a few vadas in hot oil till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. If you deep-fry all of them together then it will reduce the temperature of oil very quickly and will also stick to each other.
- Drain the spicy garlicky vada on an absorbent paper.
- Serve the spicy lehsuni vada immediately with sukhi lehsun chutney.
- You can even stuff this spicy lehsuni vada in between laddi pav and serve them as vada pav.
- If you enjoyed this spicy snack recipe, you can try other tongue-tickling evening snack recipes like Spicy Rice Samosa, Spicy Potato Wedges, Spicy Potato and Roti Roll, Spicy Tava Idli.
Nutrient values per vada
|Vitamin A||38.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||10.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.