Spicy Amla Pickle, Amla Achaar Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 73 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 297592 times
This Spicy Amla Pickle is a true tongue-tickler, with the perfect masala for tangy amlas! Ideal to serve with any meal, it tastes especially great with rice and dal.
It has a lingering flavour, which is both spicy and sour, thanks to the use of various spices and seeds ranging from fennel and fenugreek seeds to chilli powder and asafoetida.
The fennel and nigella are crushed and added to the pickle, to give an immense boost to its flavour and aroma. Using mustard oil too gives the pickle a classic flavour.
Let the pickle soak for two hours before relishing it. You can also store it in the refrigerator for later use.
Have a go at other delectable pickles like the Quick Carrot and Capsicum Pickle and Raw Papaya Pickle .
- Combine the amlas in enough water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Drain the water and cool completely.
- Cut the amlas into wedges and discard the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till it is smoky, switch off the flame and allow it cool slightly.
- Combine the nigella seeds and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle, and crush it till coarse.
- Combine the coarse mixture, fenugreek seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafetida, mustard oil and salt and mix well.
- Add the amla wedges to the mustard oil mixture, mix well and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or store it in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.