South Indian Spinach Coconut Dal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6179 times
1. Use very little water to cook the spinach. Only add spinach to boiling water and cook for a short while so that the spinach retains its bright green colour
- Boil 2 cups of water in a deep and add the spinach and stir for 5 minutes.
- Drain and preserve the water.
- Wash the drained spinach in cold water and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the tuvar dal with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Cool and blend using a hand blender till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadhai and add urad dal and red chillies.
- When the dal turns red, remove from flame, cool and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan, add the preserved spinach water and cooked dal, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, pour this tempering to the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by tripathipriya on 01 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.