Sooji Idli ( Suji Idli)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 893 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 320191 times
Feeling like having Idlis for breakfast, but have not prepared and fermented the batter? Not to worry!
Try this Sooji Idli, which is sure to please you with its soft and fluffy texture and interesting flavour. The addition of curds gives the idlis a slight sourness akin to traditional fermented batter, while coriander and the tempering boost its taste further.
Not only is this recipe quick and tasty, it also looks very attractive as the tempering, which is mixed and steamed with the batter settles all over the idlis making them look very nice and appetizing.
Stuffed Rava Idli Vegetable Sandwich is a variant of Sooji idli which is equally quick to make. With a little planning you can try other idli variants like Dal and Vegetable Idli or Shepu Sweet Idlis
Readymade idli batter handy? Then try Double Decker Idlis Stuffed with Potato and Chutney or Rice and Moong Dal Idli.
For more idli recipes check out our collection of Idli recipes.
Enjoy how to make Sooji Idli recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
- To make the sooji idli, combine all ingredients together, except the fruit salt, with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well and cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal , cashewnuts, curry leaves, green chilies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering to the prepared semolina batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix gently.
- Pour 2 tbsp of the sooji idli batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool the sooji idlis slightly, demould and serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Quick Rava Idlis Video by Tarla Dalal
Sooji Idli ( Suji Idli) recipe with step by step photos
- In a deep bowl, take 1 cup rava /sooji (suji).
- Add curd to it. Curd/ buttermilk are important ingredients to soak semolina for the sooji idli.
- Now add chopped coriander. Dhania is an optional ingredients for the suji idli recipe.
- Add salt to taste and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well with the help of a whisk. Ensure the batter is completely lump-free.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes. The sooji idli batter does not require any grinding or fermenting so, you can quickly whip up suji idli for breakfast in no time.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a small non-stick pan.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds and urad dal.
- Add the cashewnuts. Sauté till they are golden in colour.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Finally, add green chillies and asafetida. Sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering to the batter.
Mix well and our quick rava idli batter is ready. If you do not make the suji idlis immediately, the batter will become thick as the semolina absorbs water so, adjust the consistency by adding 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Heat water in a steamer or pressure cooker.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water over the batter.
When the bubbles form, mix gently. Do not over mix the batter or else the air bubbles will escape making the suji idli hard.
Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould. Do not overfill the moulds, as the rava idli will rise on cooking and you do not want them to spill out.
Steam in a steamer for 7 to 8 minutes or till the sooji idli are cooked. If you want spongy sooji idli, steam them on medium flame.
To check whether they have cooked properly or no, insert a toothpick or a knife in the centre of the idli if it comes out clean, your instant sooji idlis are cooked. If not, then steam for some longer.
Cool slightly and remove the suji idli from the mould. If you are facing difficulty in removing the sooji idli then dip a knife in little oil and loosen the edges using a knife or remove them with the help of a wet spoon.
Enjoy soft and light sooji idli with authentic tomato coconut chutney and kerala sambhar.
Allow rava idli to cool completely, pack in an air-tight tiffin box, with the chutney in a separate air-tight box.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.