Som Tam, Thai Green Papaya Salad
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 84 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49080 times
Som Tam is a famous salad from Southeast Asian cuisine. Made with raw papaya, it has a spicy and tangy flavour that is really invigorating.
The tanginess of tamarind, the pungency of garlic and the spiciness of Thai red chilli are felt strongly in this recipe. Not only that, raw papaya has a very crunchy texture, which is accentuated by the garnish of crushed peanuts.
With basil, cherry tomatoes, parboiled veggies and other such exciting ingredients, the scrumptious and colourful Som Tam is a sure-shot winner.
When served along with Thai Style Pumpkin Soup , Sweet Corn Cakes , Fried Potatoes in Ginger Mushroom Sauce , Massaman Curried Rice , Drunkard's Noodles and Thai-style Bananas it makes a hearty Thai meal.
- Combine the chilli and garlic in a mortar-pestle and pound well till coarsely crushed.
- Add the french beans and pound till it is lightly crushed.
- Add the carrot and pound for a minute till it is lightly crushed.
- Add the papaya and pound well for a minute and then toss well using 2 forks.
- Add the dressing and pound well for a few seconds
- Add the coriander, basil, cherry tomatoes and salt and toss well
- Garnish with peanuts and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.