Smoked Garlic Khichdi
by Amarendra Mulye
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10559 times
A twist to the traditional khichdi by giving it a smoked flavour and it tastes just awesome. However, you cannot reduce the quantity of ghee in this.
- Wash the rice and tuvar dal and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 3¼ cups of water in a deep pan on a high flame, add the salt. When the water starts boiling add the rice and tuvar dal.
- Cook the khichdi on high flame for 15 minutes, cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on low flame for another 15 minutes.
- Place the charcoals on a burning flame for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Place the white part and green part of fresh green garlic in two separate steel bowls.
- Divide the pepper powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds powder, oil and lemon juice in two portions. Add one portion in the bowl with white part of fresh green garlic and the other portion in the bowl with green part of fresh green garlic. Mix well.
- Place a lemon slice in each of the bowl. Place the burning charcoal over the lemon slice and pour 1 tsp of ghee over the burning charcoal. Immediately cover the bowl with a lid and set aside for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the coal and lemon slice from the bowl s.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add the cumin seeds, smoked white part of the fresh green garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, add the smoked green part of the fresh green garlic and sauté again for 1 more minute.
- Add the cooked khichdi , mix well and keep covered with a lid for 5 minutes.
- If you want to enhance the smoky flavour, then again place lemon slice, burning charcoal and ghee over smoked khichdi and cover it with lid.
- Garnish with chopped fresh green garlic pods, lemon slice and coriander.
- Serve hot with papad and mango pickle.
This recipe was contributed by Amarendra Mulye on 08 Jan 2014I am complete foodie and love to indulge into variety of food items. I love trying out and learning ...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.