Simple Rice and Chana Dal
This recipe has been viewed 9394 times
Tread the lanes of the home cooked foods with this Simple rice and chana dal recipe. The spicy and delicious chana dal works wonders when served with steamed rice.
- Soak the chana dal in 3 cups of hot water for 5 hours, then drain.
- Place the dal, rice, water, turmeric, dill and garam masala in a 3-4 quart nonstick heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and slowly cook for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the dal is butter-soft and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a small saucepan over moderate to moderately high heat.
- When it is hot, stir in the cumin seeds and red chili.
- Fry until the cumin seeds are brown.
- Sprinkle in the asafetida powder and immediately add the tomato pieces.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes or until the tomatoes soften and glisten with ghee or oil.
- Pour the fried seasoning into the cooked dal, stir in the salt and serve.
This recipe was contributed by mcgraff on 13 Oct 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.