by Tarla Dalal
Added to 69 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6947 times
Italians love their desserts and there is always something special for every occasion. The sicilians are said to have the sweetest tooth of all and many italian desserts are thought to have originated there. This recipe is of a favourite sicilian biscotti or cookies steeped in alcohol and sandwiched with fruits and cream. These are soft inside and crisp on the outside. They do not keep very well, so sandwich the biscottis with cream and fruits and eat them up quickly!
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the vanilla essence, castor sugar and lemon rind.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the cold milk and gently knead it into a dough.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roll into a 12 mm. (1/2") thick sheet.
- Cut into circles using a cookie cutter of 37 mm. (11/2") diameter. Re-roll the scraps to get more circles.
- Place them on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°c (320°f) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Slice into 2 equal halves horizontally while the biscottis are still warm. Cool completely.
- Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla essence and whisk till soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle a little brandy on each slice of the biscotti, top with a little cream and some fruit on top.
- Sandwich with the other slice of the biscotti.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||184.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||-0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B2||-0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B3||-0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||6 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.