Shallow Fried Baingan with Tangy Gravy
by Swapnil Thakkar
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2580 times
Baingan is dipped in masala n shallow fried on pan. Served with steamy tangy gravy/curry made from curd
Too hot and spicy/tangy dish to have with roti in chilled winter!
- Cut baingan into slices (around 1 cm thickness slices)
- Take a big bowl and mix all masalas,salt curd, garlic together and form a paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a flat big pan and dip the baingan slices into the paste and coat them with paste from both sides.
- Put all baingan slice one by one on pan.
- Not on each other but directly in contact with pan, if pan is small then u can make this into 2 batches.
- Cover the pan with lid and let it cook on low-med flame for 2 min
- Open lid and flip all slices with help of a spatula or fork, again cook them for 2-3 min, covered with lid. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a deep pan and in a separate bowl, mix 2-3 tablespoon curd, 1 tablespoon gram flour(besan), salt to taste, 1/4 th teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 cup water and mix it well to make a butter milk like consistency.
- Add mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida in pan n when it crackles, add this butter milk into pan
- Stir continuously so no lump forms and bring it to boil
- Now add pinch of garam masala, keep the flame low n let it simmer for 5 minutes and keep aside.
- Add the curry to the baingan pan and let it simmer for 5 min on low flame, stirring it occasionally with gentle motion.
- Add the coriander and the baingan will tend to be soft n good to eat with roti/rice anytime for next 24 hours.
This recipe was contributed by Swapnil Thakkar on 27 Nov 2014
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.