Shahi Pulao ( Mughlai Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 52 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12401 times
The word “shahi” is associated with dry fruits in any cuisine. Here it’s the addition of apricots which in rice gain a new flavour when layered with spicy curds gravy.
Green peas added to the rice make this dish a treat for your eyes. This dish is a little time consuming but is a great option for serving at parties and treat your loved ones if you have time on hand.
- Combine the saffron and 1 tsp of milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water, add the rice and cook till the rice is 80% done. Each grain of rice should be separate. Drain and discard the water and cool the rice.
- Add the saffron mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the caraway seeds, cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms and fry until they begin to crackle.
- Add the rice, green peas and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the paneer and apricot pieces and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai, add the prepared paste and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, add the curds, sugar and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a large baking bowl, put 2 tbsp of ghee at the bottom. Make 5 layers by spreading 1/3 of the rice, then spread ½ of the gravy, next spreading 1/3 of the rice and finally spreading the remaining gravy and another layer of rice.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 230ºc (460º) for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving turn the bowl upside down and demould on a big serving plate. Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.