by Foodie #641374
This recipe has been viewed 3331 times
Seeralam, this is a traditional South Indian ( Tamilian) recipe. This recipe was handed down to me by my mother in law. I used to prepare this dish as an evening snack for my children as an after school treat.
Add your private note
Seeralam recipe - How to make Seeralam
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 hoursMakes 3 to 4 servings
- Combine rice, dal and red chillies in a deep bowl and soak in water for about an hour and drain.
- Add ginger and garlic and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- When all the above said ingredients are tender, transfer into a mixer along with ginger and garlic.
- Add chopped onions and salt. Mix well.
- Pour batter in a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread it to make an even layer.
- Steam in a steamer till cooked. cool and cut into very small pieces or lightly cuumble with fingers.
- Heat oil in a flat non-stick pan. Add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add add urad dal, gram dal and cumin seeds one after the other.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When all the ingredients start releasing their aroma, add the cooked crumbled mixture. Keep stirring till all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Cook for some more time till the contents are well done.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with fresh curry leaves.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #641374 on 06 Nov 2015I am a homemaker from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. I lived with my parents in law for almost forty long year...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.