Savoury Rice with Vegetables ( Microwave Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 276 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18927 times
Why do we bother with so many katoris for every meal? a gravy for flavour, veggies for good health and variety, a cereal for satiating our hunger, a raita or curds to minimise the effect of spices and act as a thirst quencher, a sweet to pamper ourselves. Is it possible to satisfy all these needs with one dish? yes, and that is precisely what this one-dish meal demonstrates. The ground paste of coconut, cinnamon, poppy and cardamom imparts a lingering flavour, while the garnish of fried onions and cashews adds an extra zing. Soaking is important to reduce microwave cooking time.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Put the ghee in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Add the onions, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute or till they turn light pink in colour.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Add the rice, all the vegetables, lemon juice, salt and 1¾ cups of water, mix well and microwave on high for 20 minutes, stirring in between after every 5 minutes.
- Switch off the microwave but allow the dish to stand in the microwave for 3 more minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with fried onions and cashewnuts.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||219.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||36.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.