Savoury Baskets, Aloo and Green Peas Stuffed Tarts
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 90 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18811 times
This fabulous starter will earn you endless accolades at the next party you host. It has a charming appearance, which will tempt every one to pick a piece, while its incomparable flavour will exceed all expectations!
Plain flour baskets are shaped with tart moulds and deep-fried till crisp. These baskets are then packed with a savoury mixture of potatoes and green peas flavoured with spice powders, ginger, green chillies and other ingredients.
You can deep-fry around four tarts at a time. Prepare as many as required in advance, and store it in an airtight container. So, before serving the Savoury Baskets, you just need to prepare the stuffing, place it into the baskets and serve.
- Combine the plain flour, hot oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-stiff dough by using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling.
- With help of a 75 mm. (3”) cookie cutter or a sharp vaati cut into roundels. Keep making circles till the dough is over. You will get 30 circles in all.
- Place a circle in an aluminium tart mould and press it from all the sides to get the shape of a mould.
- Prick all over with the help of a fork.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, put the tart mould in it and deep-fry till it turns golden brown in colour and leaves the aluminum mould.
- Carefully remove the tart mould using a tong.
- Repeat steps 5 to 8 to make 29 more baskets.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while mashing it coarsely using a potato masher. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Fill each basket with approx. 1 tbsp of the prepared stuffing and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per stuffed basket
|Vitamin A||34.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.