Sanwa Dosa Recipe, Crispy Varai Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15789 times
Sanwa Dosa is a crispy, flavour-packed dosa just like the Rava Dosa, one of South India’s most famous snacks. Once cooked, it is difficult to differentiate between Sanwa Dosa and Rava Dosa!
This is good because you get the same taste with a better grain, and also it can be had on fasting days. An innovative batter of sanwa millet and boiled potatoes, perked up with cumin seeds, green chillies, etc., is used to make this yummy dosa.
While cooking the Sanwa Dosa, make sure you cook it on a medium-low flame till it is crisp. Do not remove it while soft or increase the flame to high, because that will ruin the texture of the dosa.
You can also try other dosas like Nachni Dosa and Quinoa Dosa .
- Clean, wash and soak the samwa millet for 6 hours or overnight in enough water and drain well.
- Combine the soaked sanwa, potatoes and ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add 1¾ cups of water, cumin seeds, coriander, green chillies and rock salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) till red hot, sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Grease the tava (griddle), with a little oil and pour 1/3 cup (approx. 5 tbsp) of the batter on it and tilt the tava (griddle), in a circular motion to make a round dosa.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid add 1 tsp of oil over it and on the sides and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, or till it is crisp from all the sides.
- Fold the dosa into a semi-circle.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 11 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with peanut curd chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.