Samosa Pav ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70682 times
Samosa pav, an equally popular brother of the famous vada pav! deep-fried samosas with a spicy potato and peas filling are sandwiched between laddi pav flavoured with chutneys. It has now become savvy to grill the samosa pav a little and serve it hot. The crisp outer crust of the samosa entices the diner to have one more, and perhaps even one more!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi stiff dough using enough water. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Knead again till smooth and elastic and divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, vatana / green peas, coriander seeds, dry mango powder, garam masala, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a minute, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, mash lightly using the back of a spoon and divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into 150 mm. X 75 mm. (6" x 3") diameter oval.
- Cut the oval horizontally into 2 equal portions using a knife.
- Take a portion and join the edges to make a cone, stuff each cone with a portion of the stuffing and apply little water on the edges and fold to seal it.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 3 more samosas.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, and deep-fry the samosas on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour. Drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Slit a pav horizontally, apply meetha chutney, teekha chutney and sukha lehsun ka chutney (as per your taste) on the inner sides of the pav and stuff with a hot samosa.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more samosa pavs. Serve immediately with fried green chillies.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.