Sambhar Hotel Style
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7500 times
Sambhar hotel style is a simple way of preparing South Indian lentil specialty, sambhar at home. The lentils are cooked with vegetables, spices, tamarind water and served hot, tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Relish the sambhar with steamed rice.
- Cook dal with water in a pressure cooker on medium high heat for about 15 minutes.
- Cut tomatoes into large pieces.
- Peel and cut onions and carrots into large chunks.
- Heat oil for masala and add asafoetida.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except coconut and fry until golden brown.
- Add coconut and fry.add 1/3 cup of water and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil for seasoning and add all the seasoning ingredients.
- Add onions and vegetables as soon as the mustard seeds splatter.
- Add salt,chilli powder and tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until onions are soft.soak tamarind in water.
- Squeeze and drain the juice.add enough water to make 2 quarts.
- Add to the vegetables and boil.
- Mash the cooked dal,mix with 1/2 cup of water and add to the mixture.
- Add the sambar masala and boil for a few more minutes.
- Mix water with tamcon if it is used instead of tamarind.
- A couple of tablespoons of sambar powder can be used instead of grinding the fresh masala.
This recipe was contributed by jolu on 20 Jun 2003
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.