Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3691 times
Add your private note
Sambar powder recipe - How to make Sambar powder
Cooking Time: Total Time:
Red chilli - 1 kg
Full Dhania - 1/2 kg
Jeera - 100 gms
Pepper - 100 gms
Saunf - 100 gms
Methi seed - 100 gms
urad dhal - 4 tablespoon
Asaphortord bar - 50 gms
Turmeric bar - 100 gms
curry leaves - 3 sticks ( without water)1 tsp oil
- Remove the chilli top and dry the same in hot sun until it becomes crisp ( in hot sun for about a day)
- In a kadhai, separately fry ( without oil) in low flame dhania, jeera, pepper,saunf, methi, urad dhal until it releases the flavour.( please note, do not mix all and fry becuase each will take different time to fry)
- Put 1 tsp oil, add asaphortada and curry leaves and fry in low flame until the asaphortada can be crushed in hand
- Mix all ingredients together in a big vessel including red chilli, turmeric and grind in the chilli machine until fine powder( generally grinding is done outside in powder machine shop.
- Bring the powder home immediately and place it in a paper until it cools off ( else, the color chnages to black)
- Store in a container safe from moisture.
- The above powder can be used for apporx 1 year without any damage. this powder can be used for sambar or kozhambu/ side dishes. its a readymade one and increases the flavor of all the dishes. am using this for the past 20 years.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie#434211 on 31 Dec 2008
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.