Sambar- South Indian Style
by Deepika Bhaskar
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8521 times
Presenting an easy way to make a typical south indian sambar.
- Wash the dal thoroughly and add 3 cups water and little turmeric, mix well and pressure cook the dal for 2 whistles.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- when the seeds crackle, add the dry red dried chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, onions, drumsticks, sambhar powder, salt and mix them for few minutes.
- Add 2 glass of water and boil for 5 to 7 minutes until the vegetables get cooked little.
- Add the tamarind water once the vegetables and the mix get cooked and stir it for 5 minutes and wait until the ingredients are cooked for at least 15 minutes.
- Stir the dal in the water which has been pressure cooked in required amount of plain water.
- Add the dal water to the sambhar and stir once.
- Allow the ingredients to get cooked for at least 5 minutes. Add coriander leaves and serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by Deepika Bhaskar on 24 Aug 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.