Sambar ( Mumbai Roadside Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 53 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39030 times
A south indian recipe made in mumbai street side food style!
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the dals and 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk it thoroughly and keep aside.
- Combine the bottle gourd, drumstick, red pumpkin and 1 cup of water in a deep pan and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till all the water has evaporated.
- Add the cooked dals, onions, tomatoes, tamarind pulp, sambhar masala, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and bring to boil.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté for a few seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the boiling sambhar, mix well and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.