Roasted Vegetables with Brown Rice ( Eat Well Stay Well Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10752 times
Roasted vegetables with brown rice, long grained rice when cooked is aromatic and is best suited for this recipe. Oven-roasted vegetables have a unique flavour that sautéed vegetables cannot match with a predominant garlic taste. A complete meal that is full of veggies and all required nutrients.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick kadhai. Add the onions and sugar; sauté on a slow flame till the onions turn dark brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the rice and salt; sauté on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, mix well and cover and simmer on a slow flame till the rice is cooked. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a baking tray and toss well.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once in between till they are slightly brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Combine the cauliflower with 1 cup of water in a non-stick pan and simmer until soft.
- When cool, blend in a mixer till smooth. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick pan, add the flour and sauté over a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk and cauliflower purée, mix well and cook over a medium flame till it thickens, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt, pepper, mixed herbs and cheese, mix well and simmer for another 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Put the milk at the bottom of a glass baking tray and spread one portion of the brown rice in an even layer and then spread the roasted vegetables over it.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the rice and spread it evenly.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes. Ensure you do not use aluminium foil while microwaving, as it may cause a spark. Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.