Ridge Gourd with Poppy Seeds
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 109 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24780 times
Poppy seeds, generally associated with sweets and rich gravies, are a wonderful source of iron! Here, they are used along with ridge gourd to make a quick and easy subzi. Ridge Gourd with Poppy Seeds has a nutty taste and pleasant texture that is very enjoyable. Serve hot with a roti of your choice.
- Soak the poppy seeds in 2 tbsp of water in a small bowl and keep aside for 10 minutes. Do not drain the water.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ridge gourd and salt, mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, green chillies and the poppy seeds-water mixture and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for another 3 to 4 minutes or till all the water evaporates, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.