Rice Panki ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Rice Panki ( Gujarati Recipe) in Hindi)
Added to 160 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 108017 times
Panki is made by cooking a batter between banana leaves. While pankis made with rice flour batter are the most common, other varieties are prevalent, and you’re welcome to try your own too! it is worth noting that the presentation of the panki with the banana leaf adds a great deal of aroma as well as visual appeal to it. When making pankis, always grease the banana leaves well, and allow the panki to leave the sides before serving. Also spread the batter uniformly to ensure even cooking.
- Combine the rice flour, curds, salt and 3 cups of warm water in a bowl and mix well to make a thick batter. Cover and keep aside for 3 to 4 hours to ferment.
- Add ¾ to 1 cup of water, asafoetida, cumin seeds, ginger-green chilli paste, garlic paste, ghee and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Apply a little oil on one side of each banana leaf and keep aside.
- Put 2 tbsp of the batter on one half of the greased side of a banana leaf and spread it evenly to make a thin layer.
- Fold the other side over the batter.
- Cook on a non-stick tava (griddle) using a little oil till light brown spots appear on the leaves and the panki in between peels off the leaf easily.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 19 more pankis.
- Serve immediately.
- You can cook 3 to 4 pankis at a time.
- Variation: suva panki - after step no. 4 sprinkle 2 tsp finely chopped fresh dill leaves (suva/ shepu bhaji) on top and follow the remaining steps as above.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per panki
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.