Rice Khichu ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23014 times
Rice khichu, here is another easy to make, easily digestible afternoon snack from the kitchens of gujarat. This version uses the pressure cooker instead of the traditional kadhai. However, while adding flour, be quick in stirring to avoid any lump formation.
- Place 3 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, sesame seeds, carom seeds, green chillies, baking soda and salt, mix well and boil on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice flour and mix well, while stirring continuously with a wooden spoon so that no lumps remain. Remove in a plate and keep aside to cool.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and shape each into a round ball.
- Place a small stand in a pressure cooker, add enough water and place a greased sieve or a small vessel over it.
- Arrange the balls evenly on the greased sieve or the vessel and pressure cook on a high flame for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using natural release method, (refer handy tip) before opening the lid.
- For serving, heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and sauté on a slow flame till it releases flavour.
- Remove from the flame, add the chilli powder and mix well. Keep aside.
- Pour 1½ tsp of oil mixture on each ball and serve hot garnished with coriander.
- Natural release method: to use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the hot burner and let the pressure drop by cooling down naturally. It works best for grains and for beans that you might use for salads, as quick-releasing the pressure can cause the beans to split apart.
- If you are short on time, do not divide the mixture into portions and shape them, simply place it on a greased sieve (as a lump) in the pressure cooker and follow the procedure as mentioned above.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.