Rice Ball Payas
by Foodie #588592
This recipe has been viewed 2327 times
Traditional recipe of Odisa, popularly known as "goitha kheeri". Healthy dessert, often served in summer.
- Take 200 ml of water in a sauce pan, add 1 tbsp salt and keep on gas to boil.
- Out of 400 gms of rice flour,keep 50 gms aside for further use in payas.
- From the rest amount of 350 gms,take 100 gm flour in a bowl, add salt to taste and make a fine barter with cold water.
- Add this barter very slowly to the boiling water and stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Then slowly add the remaining amount of flour to the mixture and stir continuously until it becomes a soft dough and remove from heat.
- When the dough becomes cool,make small balls of it by sprinkling little water on palms.
- Keep 2 ltrs milk in a deep pan and keep on fire to boil.
- As the milk begins to boil, take out 100 ml ofmilk from it in a bowl and keep aside for further use.
- Add milk powder to the boiling milk slowly without leaving lumps and stir constantly so that the milk will not burn.
- When the milk(kept aside in a bowl) becomes cool,add the rice flour of 50 gm to it and make a fine paste.
- Add slowly the milk and flour mixture to the boiling milk and keep on stirring continuously.
- When the milk reduces to half add the rice balls to boiling milk and keep on gas for another 10 mins in a low flame.
- Add sugar and keep on stirring for 5 mins on gas.
- Remove the payas from gas and let it cool down properly.
- Heat the desi ghee in a pan , add elaichi powder and saffron sticks and put it in the payas.
- After it cools down spread the condensed milk on it and put it in the fridge for better setting.
- Serve chilled.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #588592 on 13 Apr 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.