Rice Appe ( How To Make Rice Appe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 163 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 646224 times
Rice Appe is a simply awesome snack, which can be had as a tea-time treat or served along with idli, pongal, dosa or khichdi to add more josh to your breakfast. Made by cooking a fermented batter of rice and urad dal in an appe mould, the appe are crisp outside but soft and spongy inside. A tempering of mustard and cumin seeds together with onions and crushed peanuts give the Rice Appe an amazing taste and mouth-feel, which make it enticing to young and old alike. You can enjoy the appe just plain or with your choice of sambhar and chutney. Make sure you serve it immediately to enjoy the nice crispness. Once it cools, the crisp outer tends to harden and get a bit chewy.
- Combine the raw rice and urad dal and enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 2 hours. Drain well and keep aside.
- Blend in a mixer using approx. ½ cup of water till smooth. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 hours.
- After the batter is fermented, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onions and peanuts and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
- Cook usibg 1 tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more appes.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and green chutney or tomato chutney.
Nutrient values per appe
|Vitamin A||59.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.