Restaurant Style Sambar
by Swapnil Thakkar
Added to 11 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12740 times
Do u always fail to make a sambar that tastes as delicious as restaurant style sambar? Then here is a wonderful recipe that will be really helpful to u. Lets start cooking :)
- Take toor dal and wash it 2-3 times well
- Add some salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, enough water and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistle or until its done. .
- In a pan, take chana dal, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, mustard and cumin seeds, a piece of cinamon, 1-2 whole red chillies and dry roast it on medium flame until the dal turns golden color.
- In a blender, mix all these n grind into a very fine powder.
- Take this powder in a bowl, add pinch of asafoetida and 1 teaspoon of garam masala, mix well and keep aside.
- Take 2 medium sized tomatoes, one clove garlic, roughly chop them n grind it well into a blender
- Take a tablespoon of oil in a pan, when it heats, add this tomato pulp into it and cook it well until it thickens(takes about 5 min)
- Add 2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder, mix well and simmer for more 2 min, add little water if required.
- Add 1-2 tbsp tamarind pulp, add the prepared masala in this paste, mix well, add little water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Keep this red paste aside
- Our dal is ready, we wont discard the water, if it is excessive then only remove some.
- Blend the dal well with a hand blender.
- Add chopped onions and cook it in a big vessel for about 5 min on medium flame, stir occasionally.
- Add our red paste into this, mix well so that no lumps are formed.
- Simmer this for 10-15 mins, mixing occasionally.
- In a seperate pan, take 2 tablespoon oil, wen it heats, add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, wen it crakcles, add pinch of asafoetida and 6-8 curry leaves and add this tempering to our sambar. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Simmer for more 5 min, taste it, add required amount of salt, a handful of coriander, mix well and turn off the flame!
- Our delicious and red colored restaurant style sambar is readyyy!
This recipe was contributed by Swapnil Thakkar on 30 Dec 2014
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.