Red Kidney Beans Dumpling in Rich Tomato Gravy
This recipe has been viewed 853 times
For those of you who have never made Red Kidney Beans or Rajma before, this recipe will pleasantly surprise you and give you everything that you look for in an Indian curry with tangy, mildly spicy and comforting flavours. And for those of you who have been cooking rajma, this recipe will prove to be a nice variation for a change.
Add your private note
Red Kidney Beans Dumpling in Rich Tomato Gravy recipe - How to make Red Kidney Beans Dumpling in Rich Tomato Gravy
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 serving
- Wash and pressure cook the soaked rajma with salt on medium heat till the cooker blows the whistle. Lower the heat and cook for minimum 10 to 15 minutes.Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Once cool, drain the water in a separate pan and keep the water which will be later used for making the gravy.
- In a blender put the boiled kidney rajma and blend till semi smooth.
- Add the spring onions , coriander, cumin seeds powder, coriander seeds, garlic, red chilli powder, baking soda, lemon juice, black pepper powder and salt . Mix well.
- Divide the rajma mixture into equal portions and roll each portion into small balls. Keep aside.
- Roll these balls over the plain flour and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan and fry the balls on slow flame till golden brown. Drain and keep on absorbent paper to soak the excess oil.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom kadhai, add the onions and cook over a medium high heat, until the onions are soft and start going golden around the edges, for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry together until fragrant, another minute.
- Add the tomato puree and salt. Turn down the heat and cook, while stirring continuously, till the masala comes together in a sticky mass and the oil starts separating from it, for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin seeds powder,turmeric powder and chilli powder. Cook for a minute, add the drained kidney bean water and bring to a boil.
- Do not put more water, just enough for gravy. Add a little more hot water if the gravy is too thick.
- Stir in the garam masala and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if needed.
- Before serving place the kidney beans dumplings in the gravy.
- Sprinkle kasoori methi and serve topped with a tsp of fresh cream with Naan or Phulka or Roti or plain chawal.
This recipe was contributed by Alkajena on 22 Mar 2016Food Blogger...Recipe Creator...Food Stylist....Food Photographer...Dedicated mother...Working profe...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.