Raw Banana Subzi, Veg Raw Banana Sabzi Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 57 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34831 times
Relish raw banana, the South Indian way! A simple, dry subzi of raw bananas, tempered traditionally with mustard seeds, red chillies, et al, and garnished with grated coconut.
While you can use any oil for this subzi, using coconut oil will add to the authenticity. Likewise, do not forget the curry leaves as more than half the flavour and aroma of the Raw Banana Subzi comes from it. You can prepare yam also in a similar way.
- Put the raw bananas and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Remove the bananas, keep aside and allow it to cool completely.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into slices. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the dal crackles, add the curry leaves, red chillies, banana slices, turmeric powder, grated coconut and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||89.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||34.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||28.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.