Rasam By rujutag
This recipe has been viewed 2505 times
Rasam is a popular tangy and spicy South Indian lentil recipe cooked in a typical South Indian style. Enjoy hot rasam with steamed rice or as soup with breads of choice.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the dhal with 2 1/4 cups of the cold water and stir in the turmeric.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat until the dhal is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, puree the dhal, then transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl, soak the tamarind pulp in the hot water until it is thoroughly dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tamarind liquid through a coarse sieve and set aside.
- Discard the tamarind solids.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin, peppercorns and fenugreek and cook over moderate heat until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Stir in the curry leaves, dried chiles and asafetida.
- Add the dhal to the pan along with the tomato, onion, salt, tamarind liquid and the remaining 6 cups of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by rujutag on 24 Jan 2004
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.