5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7942 times
Calcium rich ragi idli is healthier and more nutritious than the regular idli.
- Soak urad dal for about 2 to 3 hrs.
- After 2 hours drain the water from the urad dal and grind to a smooth paste adding 3/4 cup of water.
- Soak the idli rava in water separately for an hour before mixing with urad dal batter.
- Squeeze out the water from the rice semolina and add to the ground urad dal batter. Add the ragi flour and mix. Mix well till well combined.
- Place the mixture in a warm place for 8-10 hours or overnight to let the idli mixture ferment. The fermentation is slow in winter and quick during summer. The key to soft and fluffy idlis is in the fermentation process.
- After 10 hours you will find that the mixture will be double the original volume. After fermentation, add salt and pinch of soda bi carbonate and mix well. The batter is now ready to make idlis.
- Grease idli maker plates with some oil and fill with idli batter. Steam covered for about 10-12 minutes and remove each idli carefully with a spatula.
- Serve with sambar or chutney of your choice.
This recipe was contributed by shalinivenkatesh on 29 Sep 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.