Ragda Patties ( Gujarati Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 575 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 270638 times
Extremely popular in Western India, the Ragda Patties needs no introduction to the food-lover. For the rest of you, it’s a yummy dish of potato patties, stuffed with spiced safed vatana, and drowned in a tongue-tickling gravy of more safed vatana perked up with onion and spices.
The ample use of spices works well with the bland but pleasant taste of potatoes and the nutty flavour of white peas, to give a well-balanced dish.
Laced with sweet and spicy chutneys, and topped with crunchy sev and papdi, the Ragda Patties is a truly exciting medley of flavours and textures.
A plate of piping hot ragda patties shared with friends huddled under the vendor’s umbrella on a rainy day, is an experience to savour. It is quite filling and can be served as a meal by itself.
You can also try other recipes like Sev Usal or Ghughra.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked safed vatana and 1 ¼ cup of water and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously using the back of your spoon.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally and keep aside.
- Combine the potatoes and salt in a deep bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Combine the safed vatana, garam masala, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, coriander and salt in a deep bowl and mix well using your hands until it forms a lumpy mixture. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Shape a portion of the potato mixture into a flat round, make a depression in the centre and place a portion of the prepared stuffing in the depression.
- Bring all the sides together, seal it completely and flatten it lightly. Gently roll it in little cornflour.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 7 more patties.
- Grease a hot tava (griddle) using 1 tsp of oil and cook all the patties using 2 tsp of oil till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Place 2 stuffed patties on a serving plate.
- Pour ¼ portion of the ragda evenly over it.
- Put 1 tbsp of sweet chutney, 1 tsp lehsun ki chutney and 2 tsp green chutney over it.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of onion, 1 tbsp papdi, 1 tbsp sev, ¼ tsp chilli powder and 1 tbsp coriander evenly over it.
- Serve immediately.
- For the stuffing, the safed vatana should be drained well before making it. This will make shaping the patties easier.
Ragda Pattice Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.