Quick Shahi Tukda
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 172 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 247770 times
Shahi tukda is one of the most popular Indian desserts.
True to its name it is a ‘shahi’ delight! Pieces of bread are dipped in delicious saffron flavoured sugar syrup and topped with rich and creamy rabdi.
Though rabdi is usually made by thickening milk over the stove for hours we have provided a shorter recipe using condensed milk that tastes just as good!
Ghee has been used for frying the bread however you could substitute oil for it if required.
If you enjoyed this Mughlai mithai, enjoy other Mughlai Mithai.
Enjoy how to make Quick Shahi Tukda recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- Remove the crusts of the bread slices and discard. Grind the bread slices in a food processor to make fresh bread crumbs and keep aside.
- Bring the milk to boil in a deep non-stick pan, stir it in between.
- Stir it well once and add the fresh bread crumbs and condensed milk. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for approx. 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring continuously and scrapping the sides of the pan.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep aside to cool completely.
- Remove the crust from both the bread slices and discard them.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into 2 triangles.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and shallow-fry the bread triangles till golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Remove them in a plate and keep aside.
- Combine the sugar and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a high flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the sugar syrup is of 1 thread consistency.
- Add the saffron strands and mix well. Keep aside.
- Soak the shallow fried bread triangles in the sugar syrup immediately for 2 to 3 minutes, while turning the traingles once after 1. 5 minutes so, they get evenly soaked.
- Drain and remove them in a serving dish.
- Pour the warm rabdi evenly over the sugar syrup coated bread triangles.
- Garnish with pistachios and almonds.
- Serve the quick shahi tukda immediately or refrigerate till it is chilled and then serve.
Quick Shahi Tukda Video
Quick Shahi Tukda recipe with step by step photos
- Remove the crusts of the bread slices and discard. If you do not remove the crust, it will gave a brownish colour to the rabri.
- Grind the bread slices in a food processor to make fresh bread crumbs and keep aside.
- Bring the milk to boil in a broad non-stick pan. This would take around 5-7 minutes. Stir it occasionally to avoid milk from sticking to the bottom of the pan or browning.
Add the fresh bread crumbs. They act as a thickener and help in reducing the rabri quickly.
- Add the condensed milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for approx. 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring continuously and scrapping the sides of the pan. In this recipe, we make use of condensed milk and not sugar because apart from sweetness, it imparts a luscious texture to the quick rabadi.
- Keep aside to cool. If you want to make the rabri in a traditional method then refer this recipe of How To Make Rabdi and How To Make Shahi Rabri.
- Remove the crust from all the bread slices and discard them.
Cut each bread slice diagonally into 2 triangles.
Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and shallow-fry the bread triangles till golden brown in colour from both the sides. They should be crisp.
- Remove them in a plate.
Combine the sugar and 1/4 cup of water in a broad non-stick pan.
- Mix well and cook on a high flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- The sugar syrup should be of 1 thread consistency.
- Add a few saffron strands to the sugar syrup and mix well. Keep aside. You can also use cardamom powder or rose water to enhance the sugar syrup.
Soak the bread slice in sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes while turning the traingles once after 1.5 minutes so, they get evenly soaked. I don’t want them to turn soggy but, if you like it soft then dip it for 6-8 minutes.
- Drain and remove the bread slices in the serving dish.
- Pour the warm rabdi over the top ensuring that the toast pieces are evenly covered with the instant rabri.
Garnish quick shahi tukda with the pistachios.
Also sprinkle some almonds over quick shahi tukda.
Serve quick shahi tukda immediately or refrigerate till it is chilled and then serve.
To make the instant rabri recipe, rinse the deep non-stick pan with ¼ cup of water and quickly simmer it for 2-3 minutes. This will prevent milk from scorching as the water forms a protective layer between the pan and milk.
It is advisable to use a heavy bottom pan to make Indian desserts like basundi, rabri etc.
It is very important to use full-fat milk as it will provide the rabri a rich and luscious texture. For this recipe we require the rabri to be of flowing consistency.
If you forget to scrape the sides, the rabri will not become thick as the scraping of sides is what thickens the rabri.
- We have made the rabri moderately sweet as the bread slices were dipped in sugar syrup but, if you like it more sweet then increase the quantity of condensed milk in rabri.
- Also, you can skip dipping the bread in sugar syrup if you are do not prefer consuming so much sugar.
- If you prepare the sugar syrup before frying the bread it might thicken so, just add 1-2 tbsp of water and re-heat the sugar syrup.
- Traditionally, bread slices are deep-fried in ghee but, we have shallow fried them. Alternatively, if you want to make a low calorie dessert and not consume so much ghee then toast the bread slices in an oven or pop-up toaster.
- You can prepare rabri prior to serving and keep it chilled. It won’t take time to assemble this dessert then.
- If the rabri cools down and you want to serve the shahi tukda warm then re-heat the rabri & then pour and serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.