Pumpkin Kootu, Pumpkin and Yellow Moong Dal Sabzi, Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 17 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25025 times
This is a gravy-like dish made using pumpkins and dal. Other vegetables like chow-chow, snake-gourd, cabbage, carrots etc can also be cooked this way. Normally, a traditional South Indian meal will definitely include one dry curry and one kootu.
A good accompaniment to this is a cooling raita like Tomato Pachadi , Coconut Pachadi or Cucumber Pachad .
- Combine the pumpkin, moong dal, 2 cups of water and salt in a deep pan, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame till cooked (for approx. 10 to 12 minutes), stirring once in between.
- Add the prepared paste, mix gently and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till the mixture becomes semi dry.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the curry and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with curry leaves.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.