Pumpkin Kootu ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 13 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15276 times
Pumpkin kootu, a ballet of vegetables and dal, this healthy combination cooked along with a coconut paste. Go for any choice of veggies such as white pumpkin, cabbage etc. You can top with tempering of oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves to give a refreshing feel to the kootu.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, pumpkin, moong dal and turmeric powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste, 1¼ cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook on high flame for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using quick/ natural release method ( refer handy tip ) before opening the lid. Serve hot.
- Natural release method: to use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the hot burner and let the pressure drop by cooling down naturally. It works best for grains and for beans that you might use for salads, as quick-releasing the pressure can cause the beans to split apart.
- Quick release method: also called the cold-water release method, it is used to release pressure quickly. To use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the burner, place in the sink and run cold water gently over the lid until the steam dissipates.
- When putting the pressure cooker in the sink, tilt the handle up so the water flows away from you. Quick release works best for foods where you need to control the timing and degree of cooking.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.