4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 101 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 33829 times
A yummy south Indian snack put together with a blend of pulses that are rich in B-complex vitamins, especially vitamin B1 and folic acid. Fermenting these dals increases their nutrient content making this recipe a nutritious nibble for young, growing brains
- Wash and soak the dals, parboiled rice and raw rice in lukewarm water for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and put the dals and rice in a mixer and blend to a smooth paste using little water if required. Cover and keep aside overnight.
- Next day, add enough water to get a batter of dropping consistency.
- Add the spinach, fenugreek and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté till the onions turns light brown.
- Add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida and chilli powder and sauté for another minute.
- Pour the tempering over the batter and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the appe moulds on a medium flame and grease it with a little oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter into each mould and cook till the outer surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more appes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.