by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7953 times
Bring Kerala to your table this morning, with this delicious and soothing Potato Stew.
An ideal accompaniment for Appam , Quick Idiyappam as well as for a bowl of hot, steaming Cooked Rice , the Potato Stew has the dominant flavour of coconut milk subtly spiced with green chillies.
A traditional tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and other ingredients gives the stew an instantaneous aroma boost! Enjoy it hot, enjoying the earthy smell of coconut oil as it wafts out with the steam!
- Combine the potatoes, tomatoes, green chillies, 5 curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt along with 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes, while stirring occasionally or till the potatoes are over cooked.
- Once over cooked, mash them lightly with a back of the spoon.
- Add the coconut milk, ¼ cup of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies and the remaining 3 curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the stew.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||99.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||16.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||20 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.