Potato Saung, Konkani Style Potatoes
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 122 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18469 times
This Konkan delicacy is sure to steal your heart with its homely charm, which combines spice and simplicity in ideal proportions. Just a bit of chilli powder for spice, a dash of tamarind for tang and onions for flavour and crunch... that is all it takes to prepare the Potato Saung.
The procedure is too simple to believe, yet the outcome is endearingly flavourful. Have a go at this potato subzi, and you will want to keep making it frequently, to enjoy with hot rice or rotis .
- Peel and cut the potatoes into thick semicircular slices.
- Heat the oil, add the onions and sauté till they are translucent.
- Add the chilli powder and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the potatoes, salt and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook over a medium flame till the potatoes are done.
- Add the tamarind pulp and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||79 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||9.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.