Pongal By vidya_6_2000
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3056 times
Pongal is a flavourful rice and lentil preparation with vegetables and spices added to enhance the taste and health benefits. A mildly spiced rice recipe, pongal is simply amazing, when served with coconut chutney.
Add your private note
Pongal By vidya_6_2000 recipe - How to make Pongal By vidya_6_2000
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
1 cup rice (chawal)
moong dal yellow - 1/3 cup
black pepper - (kali mirch)-20-251/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
ghee - 5 tablespoons1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
ginger grated - 2 teaspoons
cashew nuts broken in pieces - 2 teaspoons
curry leaves (kadipatta) - 6-7 salt to taste
Freshly Powdered black pepper - around 2-3 teaspoons
- 1) cook rice and moong dal with haldi and about 10 black pepper in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- 2) in a kadai, take 2 tablespoons of ghee and heat.
- 3) as soon as the ghee is hot,add jeera,remaining black pepper,kadi patta,cashew nuts,ginger.
- 4) fry them till cashew nuts get a slight brown colour.
- 5) then add the cooked rice w and dal and add salt and mix them well adding the remainign ghee. you can add more ghee if you feel necessary.
- 6) now remove from gas and add the freshly powdered black pepper and mix well again.
- Pongal is ready.
- It is very filling. can be had with coconut chutney.
This recipe was contributed by vidya_6_2000 on 20 Apr 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.