by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Pithore Kadhi in Hindi)
Added to 102 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39994 times
Pithore is a Rajasthani delicacy that looks somewhat like dhokla but is actually very different in taste, texture and preparation. While pithore can be tempered and had as a tea-time snack, it can also be deep-fried and added to gravies or in this case, kadhi. Sour and tangy kadhi with deep-fried pithore is an irresistible accompaniment, and makes one have a double helping of roti or pulao, whatever it is served with. Add the fried pithore to the kadhi just before serving the Pithore Kadhi.
- Combine the besan, curds, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the besan-curds mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture into a 150 mm (6”) diameter flat dish, spread it evenly and keep aside to cool and set for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut the pithore into 25 mm. (1”) squares using a sharp knife.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few pithores at a time, on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine the curds,besan, turmeric powder, salt and 2½ cups of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curds-besan mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, add the deep-fried pithore into the hot kadhi, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with bajra roti or gate ka pulao.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.