by Tarla Dalal
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 1212 times
Phulkopir Dalna is an integral part of Bengali cuisine, and any Bengali in any part of the world is sure to think of this yummy cauliflower subzi whenever they think of home!
This semi-dry subzi is made by cooking cauliflower and green peas in a perfectly-spiced tomato gravy. Since Kashmiri red chilli powder is used, the dish has a vibrant and attractive red colour with moderate spiciness.
Remember to cook the cauliflower on a high flame – to make authentic Phulkopir Dalna you need to get a slightly burnt taste, which you will get only if you cook on a high flame.
Serve this delicious subzi hot and fresh with rice or rotis .
- Combine the cauliflower, turmeric powder and little salt in a deep bowl and toss well. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cauliflower mixture, mix well and cook on a high flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in the same deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, cumin seeds, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the fresh tomato pulp and ginger paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, garam masala, sugar and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the green peas, cauliflower mixture, little salt and ¾ cup of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.