Peshawari Chole ( Know Your Dals and Pulses)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25365 times
One of peshawar’s cultural contributions to this world is its luscious cuisine. Peshawari chole is a characteristic dish, very popular in punjab. Spicy and ‘chatpata’, this dish needs some prior planning as the chick peas require soaking for at least 6 hours.
- Clean, wash and soak the kabuli chana and chana dal overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Drain, wash again, add 2 cups of water, big cardamom, cinnamon and teabags and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Reduce the flame and cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Strain and reserve the liquid but discard the tea bag. Keep the kabuli chana liquid aside separately.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent, while stirring continoulsy.
- Add the pomegranate powder and cook, till the onions turn dark brown while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger and green chillies and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté till the tomatoes are cooked and the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the cooked kabuli chana, chole masala, the reserved liquid and a little salt if required and mix gently.
- Cook for 15–20 minutes on slow flame till some of the liquid dries up. Serve hot with puris.
Chole (Peshawari Chole) Video by Tarla Dalal
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.