Perfect Christmas Pudding
by Foodie #625577
This recipe has been viewed 2922 times
There are few dishes so quintessentially Christmassy as the Christmas Pudding. One whiff of it conjures images of family gatherings, endless unwrapped presents and overfull tummies. Everyone has their favourite version of this classic – or at least their favourite cook of it. It’s a hard dish to master if you’ve never tried to make it before, so we’ve provided step-by-step instructions in this recipe.
Pretty soon, you might be making someone’s favourite version of the good old Christmas pudding.
- Combine the dried fruit, brandy, wine, essence and spices in a bowl. Cover and keep aside overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 10-cup basin with melted butter and refrigerate for 15 mins. Brush with butter again.
- Line base of bowl with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and butter together. Add to fruit mixture with sugar.
- Sift plain flour, self-raising flour, and bicarbonate of soda over fruit mixture.
- Combine with a wooden spoon. Spoon into prepared basin.
- Cut a sheet of foil and a sheet of baking paper into circles, 5 cms larger than the top of the pudding bowl.
- Lay paper over foil. Make a pleat by folding in half and then in half again.
- Place paper-side down, over pudding.
- Crush surplus foil and baking paper firmly around rim and secure with string.
- Place an upturned plate into the base of a large, deep saucepan. Place the pudding basin onto the plate.
- Pour hot water into the saucepan so it comes one-third of the way up the side of the basin.
- Cover saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 hours.
- Remove pudding from water.
- Stand for 30 minutes. Turn onto a platter.
- Serve with cream or cool completely, then store.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #625577 on 29 Dec 2014
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.