This recipe has been viewed 1803 times
Pepper Puliyodharai is a South Indian rice delicacy. The tangy and spicy tamarind paste adds taste and flavour to the rice.If you like it spicy add more pepper powder.
- Cook the rice in a pressure cooker, add 1 tbsp gingely oil and spread on a plate.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 20 minutes, mash lightly, add 2 cups of water and strain.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a while.
- Add the tamarind water, salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida and curry leaves and while it is boiling add the jaggery.
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan, add a pinch of asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorns, chana dal and roast till the peppercorns splutter, cool and grind to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- When the tamarind water mixture reduces to half add the roasted and ground powder and boil till the mixture thickens.
- Take it off the gas and add the crushed black pepper powder, mix well.Keep this tamarind paste aside.
- Place the rice in a bowl, add gingely oil and tamarind paste as per your taste and mix well.
- Handy tip:
- Add some more pepper powder to the Puliyodharai if you want to make it more spicy.
This recipe was contributed by shalinivenkatesh on 01 Dec 2013
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.