Penne with Spinach in Low Calorie White Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 39 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15431 times
Who does not drool at the thought of a creamy white sauce? Nevertheless, white sauce loaded with refined flour, butter and milk is hardly a healthy option. Here, in this innovative creation, whole wheat penne is tossed in a unique low-calorie white sauce made with minimal quantity of low-fat butter, whole wheat flour and low-fat milk. Cauliflower imparts an interestingly coarse mouth-feel to the sauce, while spinach adds to its health quotient. By reducing the quantity of penne and increasing the quota of vegetables, the Penne with Spinach in Low Calorie White Sauce is also made more fibrous and healthful than the usual pasta recipes. Enjoy this delicious treat occasionally, in moderation.
- Combine the cauliflower and 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the cauliflower softens and the water has almost evaporated. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend the cauliflower (along with the little water remaining) in a mixer to a smooth purée and strain it using a strainer. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the wheat flour and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds or till the wheat flour turns light brown in colour.
- Add the milk and cauliflower purée, mix well using a whisk till no lumps remain and bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and pepper powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the blanched spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad on-stick pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the capsicum and broccoli, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared low calorie spinach white sauce, chilli flakes, mixed herbs and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked penne, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.