Penguin Duo- Veggie Penguins ( Vegetable and Fruit Carvings)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10176 times
Invite somebody different for your home! make this adorable looking penguin couple a pot luck delight in place of porcelain figures.
Add your private note
Penguin Duo- Veggie Penguins ( Vegetable and Fruit Carvings) recipe - How to make Penguin Duo- Veggie Penguins ( Vegetable and Fruit Carvings)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 2 penguins
- Place the big cucumber on a chopping board and leaving around 1 to 1½” from both ends, peel a thin layer, using a knife keeping it intact from one side. This forms one wing of the penguin. Peel another thin layer from the opposite side of the cucumber to form another wing.
- From the open end of the peeled cucumber, cut 1 cm. From the bottom to form the base of the penguin.
- Insert small flat pieces of carrots on both the intact sides of the cucumber.
- Immerse the cucumber in a bowl of ice-cold water for 20 minutes so that the cucumber peels (wings) become crisp and open up well.
- Peel the radish, place it on a chopping board, cut a 1” rectangle and wrap a spring onion leaf around one edge, attach it with a pin. Place this piece on a thin slice of radish piece and attach it using pins. This forms the hat of the male penguin. Keep aside.
- Peel the carrot, cut a thin slice and carve 2 v-shaped cuts, using a knife to make the legs of the penguin.
- Trim the other edges of the carrot ( legs) so as to be able to insert it in the cucumber (body).
- Remove the cucumber from the water and discard the carrot slices.
- Insert 2 cloves little above both the wings to make its eyes.
- Cut a small piece from the tapering end of the carrot and attach it to the cucumber (body) to make its nose.
- Attach the hat to the head of the penguin with the help of a toothpick.
- Make a cut 1 cm. From the base, half way through the cucumber and insert the legs of the penguin.
- Make a similar female penguin with the small cucumber. Instead of a hat attach a spring onion green around its neck with a pin.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.