Peach Lettuce Salad ( Exotic Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9403 times
An unusual combination of ingredients is the highlight of this salad. Though seemingly simple, the dressing creates magic when tossed in with the other ingredients.
Cheese along with basil perks up the flavour of this dish, but I've used only a moderate amount of cheese to keep a check on the calories; alternatively, those who do not like cheese can replace it with low fat paneer, which tastes equally good.
Usually canned peaches cooked in sugar syrup are used, but since that is forbidden for diabetics, I've used very little sugar to cook the peaches to match the taste while still restricting the sugar intake.
- Put the lettuce in ice-cold water for half an hour. This will make them crisp.
- Drain, wrap in a muslin cloth and refrigerate till ready to use.
- Heat non-stick pan, add the peaches, sugar and 1 tbsp water, mix well and cook over a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the liquid evaporates. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine together the peaches, cheese and basil in a bowl, mix well and refrigerate to chill.
- Just before serving, add the lettuce, bread sticks and the dressing over it and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.